(Wyoming, MI) – Square Roots, the technology leader in indoor agriculture, and Gordon Food Service, one of North America’s largest food distributors, held a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the ‘opening their new indoor farm in Michigan, one step closer to developing a shared vision to build indoor farms together across the continent – enabling local nutrition on a global scale.
“By partnering with Square Roots, we are realizing our ambitions to make nutritious local produce available to everyone, year round, regardless of the local climate,” said Rich Wolowski, CEO of Gordon Food Service .
“This new Michigan indoor farm means we can responsibly grow delicious, local foods year round,” said Tobias Peggs, co-founder and CEO of Square Roots. “We have an exciting roadmap to build additional covered farms across the continent with Gordon Food Service, as we work to ensure that the future of food can be good for people and the planet, as well as for the good deals. “
Located at the Gordon Food Service headquarters in Wyoming, Michigan, the new farm was deployed in just 3 months using Square Roots’ modular and intelligent technology platform. Inside the farm, Square Roots uses its proprietary cloud-connected software to continuously monitor and control multiple climates, allowing its farmers to grow a wide range of crops to meet a variety of local market needs.
Square Roots products are widely available in grocery stores, including Gordon Food Service Stores and Gordon Food Service customer restaurants, as well as on e-commerce platforms in the Great Lakes region. Square Roots seeks to target a $ 35.4 billion retail product category.
In addition to its farms, Square Roots continues to invest in the Midwest – recently opening a 5,000 square foot manufacturing facility in the area, where it now creates and assembles key components for future farms.
● Square Roots operates two indoor farms in Michigan, with the capacity to produce more than 2.4 million packages of herbs and leafy greens per year. About 50,000 plants are grown at any one time on each farm.
● Square Roots grows a wide variety of products, including herbs such as basil, dill, parsley and cilantro; microgreens; and salad mixes.
● Square Roots’ commitment to the local community has created over 30 jobs in the Great Lakes region. These local roles include farm managers, producers, engineers, delivery drivers, technicians, product packers, etc.
● Square Roots offers numerous continuing education opportunities for employees, in addition to comprehensive benefits, Square Roots ownership and accelerated career paths to propel career advancement.
● Square Roots Farms are built in cities to dramatically reduce food miles. This results in very high quality products for consumers and virtually eliminates food waste in the supply chain. The company’s hydroponics systems recirculate the water used to grow crops, using 95% less water than conventional farming methods. All Square Roots products are in 100% recyclable packaging.
● All Square Roots farms are certified as Harmonized Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), in accordance with USDA standards, and operate under strict COVID-19 protocols to keep farmers and the local community safe.
About square roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in indoor agriculture. Its mission is to bring local, fresh and authentic food to people in cities around the world – setting new standards of transparency and accountability while empowering a new generation of leaders in agriculture. Founded by serial entrepreneurs, Kimbal Musk and Tobias Peggs, its range of fresh produce is available at over 200 retail outlets across the country, including Gordon Food Service Stores, Whole Foods Market, Fresh Thyme Market. , D&W Fresh Market, Meijer’s Market Format Stores, and Busch Fresh Food Market. Square Roots’ strategic partnership with Gordon Food Service reinforces a broader common ambition to jointly build commercial-scale, air-conditioned indoor farms across the continent – enabling local food on a global scale, all year round. For more information, please visit www.squarerootsgrow.com.
About Gordon Food Service
Since 1897, we have provided uncompromising quality and sincere service to our customers. We started out as a simple butter and egg delivery service, and have grown into the largest family-owned business in the restaurant industry by championing the same approach for over 120 years, remaining passionately dedicated to the people we love. we serve. Today, we serve foodservice operators in the Midwest, Northeast, Southeast and Southwest regions of the United States and from coast to coast in Canada. We also operate over 175 Gordon Food Service Store® stores in the United States, which are open to the public and provide restaurant quality products and friendly, knowledgeable service with no membership fees. By partnering with organizations across industries, from healthcare to education, independent restaurants, restaurant chains and event planners, we help our customers create dining experiences that people choose, enjoy. and remember.
1 Total production at MULO (last 52 week period ending 9/5/21)